Verify box contents
- Place the IPC in a safe location.
- Connect the Ethernet cable to a router or working Ethernet jack.
- Connect the power cable to the wall and the IPC.
- The IPC should begin booting and appear on the network.
Local network traffic
The OnTakt server needs outgoing access to each machine control it will read data from. The specific port used for a machine depends on the control type and is usually even configurable on the control. The port should be specified in the machine’s URL in OnTakt.
The OnTakt server needs incoming access from the PCs that will access its web interface on the following ports:
- 80/tcp – Homepage
- 8710/tcp – Inspection HTTP
- 8711/tcp – Inspection HTTPS
- 8720/tcp – OnTakt
- 38733/udp – WOLF-SYNC
For mDNS discovery, it will need outgoing access on 5353/udp to 188.8.131.52 (IPv4) and/or ff02::fb (IPv6) as well as incoming access on that same port from the PCs that will access its web interface.
An internet connection is not required to run or use OnTakt. However, it makes applying updates much easier. If you would like to allow the OnTakt server to access the internet but limit what it can connect to, set up a firewall rule that allows outgoing access to only the following hosts:
- us.archive.ubuntu.com: 80/tcp and 443/tcp
- central.ontakt.live: 443/tcp
- pkg.central.ontakt.live: 443/tcp
Setting a static IP address
By default, the OnTakt system will use DHCP to configure networking. If you are operating in an environment without a DHCP server or router, this will not work, and a static IP address must be configured.
- Connect a monitor and keyboard to the system.
- From the local console:
- To set a static IP, run
sudo set-static-ip <address> <subnet mask> <default gateway> <dns1> [... dnsN]. For example,
sudo set-static-ip 10.0.0.2 255.0.0.0 10.0.0.1 10.0.0.1.
- To undo this, run
- To view the current configuration, run
- To set a static IP, run
Static IP settings can also be changed from the system tab of the web interface.
The IPC must be provisioned and connected to the network first.
- Get the IP address of the device from your router or IT department. Ideally, this address will be statically assigned so it never changes.
- Go to that IP address in a browser.
- Switch to the Settings tab at the top.
- Apply the provided license key in Options → Advanced → Upload new license key. This will allow downloading software.
- After the key is applied, click the Install button under OnTakt.
- After installation is completed, return to the Services page and launch OnTakt.